Boötes Void

Hello?

Where am I and why can't I see anything?

It's just empty in all directions and how much I try, I can't find anything- wait, how big is this place?

I can't do anything, I'm just stuck...

This would be my reaction when somehow, I magically get teleported to the middle of the Boӧtes Void, one of the largest voids (empty regions) in space, spanning 330 million light years from tip to tip. It can be roughly located as it is in the vicinity of the constellation Boӧtes. The supervoid's center is around 700 million light years away from the Earth.

The void is so empty that it is theorised that there is estimated to be only 4000 galaxies within the Boӧtes Void, although only 60 have been discovered. Within that, there seems to a very narrow band of galaxies near the center, which means that it was formed by the merging of two smaller voids.

Speaking of the galaxies around the Boӧtes Void, there are four major superclusters surrounding it:
  • Hercules Supercluster
  • Boӧtes Supercluster
  • Shapley Supercluster
  • Corona-Borealis Supercluster
They all have tens of thousands more galaxies than the void next to them, which really shows the contrast between the galaxy clusters and the empty voids.

The picture below shows the general location of the Boӧtes Void in the night sky. (this was taken around 2 a.m, Japan, February 6th.)




Lastly, Boӧtes Void has been represented by images of Barnard 68, a dark nebula in our own galaxy, which has nothing to do with the supervoid. To prevent further misconception, I decided to speak about it here. And that's it!

So, thanks for reading... and hopefully I don't get teleported there...



Footnote: I tried a new writing style so please tell me in the comments if you like this better or not!

Comments

Popular Posts